Settled 1690. Set off from Plainfield and incorporated 1703. || Canterbury, Ct. Windham co. The first settlers of this town were principally from Dorchester, Mass. and its neighborhood. They came here about the year 1690. The soil of the town is a gravelly loam, generally fertile and productive. It lies 40 miles E. by S. from Hartford, and 6 S. from Brooklyn. Population, 1830, 1,881. The Quinnebaug is here a large and beautiful stream. It annually overflows its banks, and fertilizes a large tract upon its borders. There is fine fishing in Bates' pond. Considerable excitement manifested itself in this town, in 1832, in consequence of a Miss Crandall proposing to open a school for the instruction of "Young ladies and little misses of color." — Although no one seemed to question the purity of Miss Crandall's motives, yet the people doubted the expediency of the measure. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.