Danvers, Massachusetts

Set off from Salem, 1752. || Danvers, Mass. Essex co. This flourishing town lies 2 miles N.W. from Salem, to which it was attached until 1757 [sic], and called "Salem Village." It is very pleasant, and has some mill and navigable privileges. The manufactures, for the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $854,300. The articles manufactured were boots and shoes ($435,900,) leather, ($264,400,) nails, bricks, pottery ware, glue, lasts, morocco, chocolate, shoe pegs, shoe and soap boxes, soap and candles. Population, 1830, 4,228; 1837, 4,804. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.