Bernardston, Massachusetts

Bernardston, Mass. Franklin co. This is a township of superior land for agricultural purposes, considerably elevated, between Fall and Connecticut rivers. It was formerly called Fall Town. There was a fort here in 1746, when this part of the county was peopled mostly by Indians. It was incorporated, by its present name, in 1764. It lies 96 miles W. by N. from Boston, and 7 N. from Greenfield. Population, 1837, 878. Bald and West mountains afford delightful scenery: the former is 630 feet above the waters of the Connecticut. Here are springs containing magnesia, sulphur and iron. Bernardston produced, in one year, 16,000 bushels of corn and rye, and 5,000 barrels of cider. There are 3,022 sheep in this town, and some manufactures of shoes, leather, palm-leaf hats, and scythe snaiths. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.