Charlemont, Massachusetts

Charlemont, Mass. Franklin co. Deerfield river meanders through this town, and gives it a good water power. Garrisons were erected here in 1754 , against the savage French and Indians. Their remains are now visible. Incorporated, 1765. Population, 1837, 994. It lies 110 miles W.N.W. from Boston, and 14 W. by N. from Greenfield. Although this is a mountainous township, it contains much valuable land. It maintains about 5,000 merino and other sheep. Its manufactures consist of boots, shoes, leather, iron castings, axes, hoes, palm-leaf hats, saddlery, scythe snaiths, and lather [sic] boxes. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.

"Apparently John Stoddard had bargained with Moses Rice for the erection of some sort of a fort on the hill tops of Rowe. Moses Rice had come from Rutland to be the first settler in Charlemont.* He built his first cabin in the spring of 1743 near a buttonwood tree that is still standing a few rods from the Charlemont bridge. In June 1755, twelve years later, Captain Rice was killed and scalped by Indians and his remains buried nearby. The grave is marked by a small monument which was dedicated in 1871.
* The first mention of Charlemont is in a deed from Phineas Stevens to Othniel Taylor dated Nov. 3, 1742, in which it is called 'Checkley's Town, otherwise called Charlemont.'"
Percy Whiting Brown, The History of Rowe, Massachusetts, 2d ed., privately published, Cleveland, OH, 1935, p. 11.