Westfield, Massachusetts

"Westfield (Woronoco), as early as 1643, was a trading post, and a trading house had been built there by permission of the Connecticut Court, which at that time claimed jurisdiction over the place. It had a few permanent settlers in 1650, and was incorporated in 1669. A pathway from Windsor to Northampton via Westfield, for men, horses and ox-carts, across Suffield, was in use at an early period, and kept in repair by people of those towns. It was settled by people from Springfield, Northampton and Connecticut." Hezekiah Sheldon, "History of Suffield."