Set off from Springfield, 1783. "Initially established in 1645 as part of the township of Springfield, it had achieved a separate 'precinct' status in 1713. At that point, too, its residential center had moved, from the lush lowlands beside the Connecticut River — lush but repeatedly subject to springtime flooding — to the crest of a gentle ridge line about a mile farther east. There its houses had spread, north and south, along a spacious 'main street.' Wood lots, meadows, swamps and ponds stretched back toward the river; five small streams cut the street at irregular intervals. With so much water close at hand, there were fine opportunities for milling; a corn mill sat near the northern boundary, a swamill and gristmill lay somewhat to the south. The prospect, as a whole, was open and abundant; indeed, Longmeadow ranked with the most fortunate of all Massachusetts farm villages."
— John Demos, The Unredeemed Captive, 192.