Longmeadow, Massachusetts

Set off from Springfield, 1783. "Initially established in 1645 as part of the township of Springfield, it had achieved a separate 'precinct' status in 1713. At that point, too, its residential center had moved, from the lush lowlands beside the Connecticut River lush but repeatedly subject to springtime flooding to the crest of a gentle ridge line about a mile farther east. There its houses had spread, north and south, along a spacious 'main street.' Wood lots, meadows, swamps and ponds stretched back toward the river; five small streams cut the street at irregular intervals. With so much water close at hand, there were fine opportunities for milling; a corn mill sat near the northern boundary, a swamill and gristmill lay somewhat to the south. The prospect, as a whole, was open and abundant; indeed, Longmeadow ranked with the most fortunate of all Massachusetts farm villages."

John Demos, The Unredeemed Captive, 192.