This is a pleasant town in Middlesex county, and the source of Shawsheen river. This town was formerly parts of Concord and Billerica, and was incorporated in 1729. Population, 1837, 858. It lies 15 miles N.W. from Boston, and 5 N.E. from Concord. Bedford is bounded N. by Concord river. It has some manufactures; principally of boots and shoes. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.