"Westfield (Woronoco), as early as 1643, was a trading post, and a trading house had been built there by permission of the Connecticut Court, which at that time claimed jurisdiction over the place. It had a few permanent settlers in 1650, and was incorporated in 1669. A pathway from Windsor to Northampton via Westfield, for men, horses and ox-carts, across Suffield, was in use at an early period, and kept in repair by people of those towns. It was settled by people from Springfield, Northampton and Connecticut." — Hezekiah Sheldon, "History of Suffield."