Originally Wamesit, one of Rev. John Eliot's Praying Indian towns.
Chelmsford, Mass. Middlesex co. On the south side of Merrimack river, and connected with Dracut by a bridge. First settled, 1753 [sic, should be 1653]. Incorporated, 1655. Population, 1837, 1,613. It lies 25 miles N.W. from Boston, and 4 S.W. from Lowell. Chelmsford abounds in limestone and granite; considerable of the latter is transported to Boston by the Middlesex canal, which passes through the town. The manufactures of this town, during the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to about $100,000; — principally of glass and iron. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.