Watertown, Massachusetts

The original town of Watertown, settled in 1630, comprised the area now covered by Watertown, Waltham and Weston. The section known as Watertown Farms was set off as the town of Weston on 1 Jan 1712. During the following quarter century, the remainder of the town of Watertown was divided into two precincts, each precinct having its own church and being responsible for the ecclesiastical affairs of that part of town. The West Precinct, subsequently set off as the town of Waltham on 4 Jan 1738, had had its own church since 1696.