Parent town: Boston. || This town formerly included Quincy and Randolph, and was first called Mount Wollaston. It is celebrated for the antiquity of its settlement, (1625) and for the eminent men it has produced, both in church and state. The surface of the town is variegated by hill and dale, presenting many delightful views of Boston, its harbor and the adjacent country. The soil is a strong gravelly loam, and very productive. Excellent granite abounds here, of which large quantities are annually quarried and transported; and some of the best merchant ships are built of native white oak and cedar. The holley tree (Ilex aquifolium) is indigenous. Indications of coal have been so strong as to warrant an attempt at mining. The Manatiquot river, which rises in Randolph, after meandering through this town and receiving the waters of Great and Little ponds, meets the tide waters of Boston harbor, at Braintree landing, on Weymouth Fore river, 11 miles from Boston. At this place there is considerable trade in lumber and bread stuffs, and some navigation is employed in the coasting trade and fisheries. The manufactures of Braintree consist of boots, shoes, cotton and woolen goods, paper, leather, nails, axes, cotton ginns, chocolate, carriages, granite, straw bonnets, tin ware, and vessels. The value of these articles of manufacture, for the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $371,937. The value of boots and shoes amounted to $202,363, and gave employment to 850 persons. The Manatiquot affords this town excellent mill sites; some of which lie near ship navigation, and are very valuable. Braintree was incorporated in 1640. It lies 10 miles S. by E. from Boston, and 12 S.E. from Dedham. Population, 1830, 1,752; 1837, 2,237. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.