Ashburnham, Massachusetts

Founded 2 Feb 1765 from the plantation of Dorchester-Canada.

This township was granted to Thomas Tileston and others of Dorchester, for services in an expedition against Canada, in the year 1690. For many years it was called "Dorchester Canada." It was incorporated as a town in 1765. Ashburnham lies on the height of land between the Connecticut and Merrimack rivers. It is watered by large ponds which furnish good mill seats. Its manufactures consist of cotton goods, boots, shoes, leather, chairs, cabinet ware, fur and palm-leaf hats; the annual value of which is about $100,000. This town is 30 miles N. from Worcester, 50 N.W. from Boston, and 35 W. from Lowell. Population, 1837, 1,758. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.