Grafton, Massachusetts

Hassanamisco (or Hassanamesit) had been the site of a village of "praying Indians," whose numbers had so declined by the 1720s that the General Court had authorized a group of petitioners to purchase the land from the Indians and form a new town. A church was gathered in 1731, and the town was incorporated as Grafton in 1735.