Hinsdale, New Hampshire
Hinsdale was first settled by Col. Ebenezer Hinsdale, member of a prominent Deerfield, Massachusetts family, whose mother had been taken captive in the Deerfield Massacre of 1704. A graduate of Harvard College, Hinsdale was ordained as a missionary to the Indians of the Connecticut River Valley, but instead served as chaplain at Fort Dummer (now Brattleboro, Vermont) on the Connecticut River, later enlisting as an officer in the army. In 1742 he established Fort Hinsdale, including a trading post and gristmill, on the opposite side of the Connecticut River. Chartered in 1753 as the town of Hinsdale, it was originally granted on both sides of the river. When the river was subsequently defined as the boundary between New Hampshire and the new state of Vermont, Hinsdale found itself astraddle the state border. To resolve this ambiguity, the Vermont legislature in 1802 renamed its portion of Hinsdale as Vernon, Vermont (q.v.).