Rindge, New Hampshire

The lands which encompass present-day Stoddard, NH, were owned in 1785 by the heirs of Col. Sampson Stoddard (1709-77), a wealthy merchant and politician of Chelmsford, MA. Through royal grants and purchases, the Stoddard family had title to eighty-thousand acres in what became Acworth, Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Goffstown, Jaffrey, Rindge, and Stoddard, which they hoped to develop or sell to land-hungry farmers pressing northward. Historical New Hampshire, 59:1 (spring 2005), New Hampshire Historical Society, Concord, p. 9..>