Hampton, New Hampshire
Hampton, New Hampshire, first called Winnacunnet, was settled in 1638 by the Reverend Stephen Bachiler (ca. 1561–1656) and a small group of followers from Newbury, Massachusetts. While settlement had commenced in the summer of that year, the church was dedicated by Mr. Bachiler on 14 October 1638, the date usually considered as the beginning of the town. But the grant from the government of the Province of the Massachusetts Bay (which exercised control over the area at the time), was given on 6 June 1639, when Hampton was "allowed to be a town and hath power to choose a constable and other officers." Thus the town of Hampton officially dates from 1639.
The original Hampton grant included the present-day towns of Hampton, Danville, East Kingston, Hampton Falls, Kensington, Kingston, North Hampton, part of Rye, the easternmost part of Sandown, and Seabrook.