Claremont, New Hampshire
Chartered by the state in 1799, the Second New Hampshire Turnpike connected Claremont, on the Connecticut River, via the Contoocook River valley with Amherst, where it intersected the Middlesex Turnpike leading to Boston. People, produce, and goods moved along this and other turnpikes to markets in the seaport cities of Portsmouth and Boston while providing new communcation networks for settlers.
— Wesley G. Balla, "Inheriting the Revolution: Benjamin Pierce's World, Ideals, and Legacy." Historical New Hampshire, 59:1 (spring 2005), New Hampshire Historical Society, Concord, p. 11.
As for New Hampshire, its minor internal disaffection mattered little because that province, alone among the thirteen, was never invaded. Those who declined to sign the Association in 1775 — just 6 percent of the eligible population — centered in Aglican locales and places with Wentworth family ties (Portsmouth, Claremont, and several small towns). — Kevin Phillips, "1775, A Good Year for Revolution" (2012), p. 240.
Claremont, N.H., Suillvan co., is 12 miles N. from Charlestown, 8 W. from Newport, 47 N.N.W. from Concord, and 97 W.N.W. from Portsmouth. This town is watered by Connecticut and Sugar rivers, besides numerous brooks and rivulets. Claremont is a fine undulating tract of territory, covered with a rich gravelly loam, converted into the best meadows and pastures. The hills are sloping acclivities, crowned with elegant summits. The intervales on the rivers are rich and luxuriant. The agricultural products are large and valuable. The houses and buildings present a very favorable appearance, and indicate the wealth and prosperity of the town. in this town are a number of manufactories of cloth, paper, leather, &c. Claremont was granted in 1764. — In this town are fine beds of iron ore and limestone. It received its name from the county seat of Lord Clive, an English general. The first settlement was made in 1762, By Moses Spafford and David Lynde. Many eminent men have resided in this town. The Hon. Caleb Ellis came to reside in Claremont about 1800. In 1804, he was chosen a member of congress from this state; in 1809 and 1810, a member of the executive council; in 1812, an elector of president and vice-president of the U.S. In 1813, he was appointed judge of the superior court, in which office he remained till his death, May 9, 1816, aged 49. Population, 1830, 2,526.