Shiloh, New Jersey

The settlement of Shiloh was founded in 1705 by Robert Ayars. He brought over 2,000 people from Rhode Island to be free of religious persecution. Wikipedia

This rural Cumberland County community was established in 1705 when several Seventh Day Baptist families purchased tracts of land in the area now known as Shiloh. Originally known as Cohansey Corners, this village was divided and became part of two townships when the New Jersey General Assembly created Cumberland County in 1748. Half was in Stow Creek and half in Hopewell. In 1837, to settle a tie on the Board of Freeholders as to whether to move the county seat from Bridgeton to Millville, a new municipality called Columbia Township was formed in Shiloh. The new Columbia Freeholder voted to keep the county seat in Bridgeton and the community of Shiloh was again split into Hopewell and Stow Creek. In 1929, finally, the Borough of Shiloh was incorporated as an independent municipality in Cumberland County, recognizing its historical boundaries and village center. Today, Shiloh is home to just over 500 people, several businesses, farms and a vineyard and winery. Borough of Shiloh web page, http://www.shilohborough.com/about.html

By the spring of 1737, it was decided among the Sabbatarian [Seventh Day Baptist] brethren to constitute themselves into a Gospel church. On March 27th, 1737, these did form themselves into the Shiloh church: Elijah Bowen and Deborah, his wife; John Jarman, Caleb Barrett and Abigail Barrett; Hugh Dunn and Amy Dunn Rev. J. Davis, Esther Davis, Caleb Ayars, Jr., Joseph Swinney, Anna Swinney, Deborah Swinney, Samuel Davis, Anna Davis and Jean Phillips. In all, sixteen. In 1771, a new brick house of worship was built, which was in use for about eighty years and was then transformed into an academy. Third pastor, Nathan Ayars, ordained November 13, 1766; pastor till 1802; died July 20th, 1811, sixty-two years old. Griffiths, A History of Baptists in New Jersey (1904)