Named 1800, incorporated 1821 from Fairfield and Stratford. Formerly called Stratfield or Newfield. || The town of Bridgeport was formerly a part of Stratford, and was incorporated by its present name in 1821. It contains about 10 square miles, of a strong and fertile soil, under excellent cultivation. That part of Bridgeport where the city now stands was called the village of Newfield, until 1800, when it was incorporated as a borough by its present name. In 1836 it became a city. This is one of those beautiful and flourishing places in New England, the pride of Yankees and the admiration of strangers. It is located on an elevated plain, on the west side of an arm of Long Island Sound, and commands extensive views of Long Island and the surrounding country. The city is built in a style of great neatness and some elegance. The harbor is safe, but the navigation for large vessels is impeded by a bar at its mouth, of about 13 feet draught of water at high tides. A large business is done here in the coasting trade; some in foreign commerce, and some in the whale and other fisheries. The city is watered by the Pequanock, affording some water power. There is a commodious bridge across the harbor, 412 yards in length, with a draw for the passage of vessels. This is an important manufacturing city, particularly of saddlery and carriages, of which a very large amount is annually made and transported. A rail-road from this place is in contemplation, to pass up the Housatonick river, and meet the Boston and Albany rail-road at West Stockbridge, in Mass. The population of the borough of Bridgeport, in 1830, was 1,800. The present population of the city exceeds 4,000. Bridgeport lies 62 miles N.E. from New York, 17 S.W. from New Haven, and 4 E. by N. from Fairfield. The distance from this place to Setauket, on Long Island, across the Sound, is about 18 miles. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.