Burlington, Connecticut

Incorporated 1806 from Bristol. Formerly called West Woods or West Britain. || Burlington, Ct. Hartford co. An agricultural township, with a soil of gravelly loam, pleasantly diversified by hills and dales, 17 miles W. from Hartford, and 36 N. from New Haven. Population, 1830, 1,301. It is watered by Farmington river, and was taken from Bristol in 1806. The town has some manufactures, and has been noted for the equality of its inhabitants, in regard to property. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.