Incorporated 1785 from Farmington, Middletown, and Wethersfield. Formerly called Kensington. || Hartford co. Taken from Farmington in 1785. Population, 1830, 3,047. This town lies 11 miles S. from Hartford, and 23 N. from New Haven. The surface of Berlin is hilly, but productive of grass, grain and fruits. There are in the town about 2,000 sheep. The villages of Worthington and New Britain are very pleasant, and the manufactures of brass, tin and other wares, there pursued, are very extensive and flourishing. The first manufacture of tin ware in this country was commenced at this place, in about the year 1770, by Edward Patterson, a native of Ireland. Mr. Patterson peddled his ware about the country, on foot, in baskets; his successors in the manufacture did the same, until the uses and value of the article becoming known, and the demand increasing, horses and wagons were employed; and thus this important manufacture of New England was transported to all parts of the country. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.