Settled and named 1670. || "Simsbury … was incorporated in 1670. It contained thirteen Freemen, and other male inhabitants (not Freemen), in all perhaps thirty. The Indians (Massacoes) numbered several hundred. Until the war of 1676 they vastly exceeded the white population; at which time the town was burned, provisions, produce, furniture, fences and farming utensils were collected into heaps, and burned. The town remained deserted for a year, and no attempt was made to rebuild it. Simsbury then embraced nearly the whole of the present towns of Simsbury, Granby, East Granby and Canton. It was settled from Windsor, and was the twenty-first town incorporated within the Connecticut and New Haven Colonies, which became one in 1665." — Hezekiah Shelton, "History of Suffield," quoting Phelps's "History of Simsbury."