A corruption of Southfield, established in Massachusetts 1674. Annexed to Connecticut in 1749. || "Stony River, Southfeild, Suffield. In the year 1660, the Massachusetts General Court granted to several persons a sufficient quantity of land to make a plantation, at a place called Stony River, on both sides of the way to Connecticut, seven miles square. It is probable that an attempt was made at settlement at that place, and soon abandoned, and the grant became void. None of these petitioners ever afterward became settlers of the town. January 14, 1669, the selectmen of Springfield recommended to the town to make several grants of land 'att towards: or about, Stony Ryuer; and that if it were ordored, and managed aright; it might make a fine village, or small Plantation.' This was followed by a petition to the General Court in May, 1670, for a Grant for a new town. The petition was granted by the magistrates, but denied by the deputies. On October 12, the same year, both branches of the General Court confirmed the Grant. This Grant was six miles square on the west side of the 'Connecticott,' toward Windsor. In 1671 the committee extended the town one and a half miles further west. Complete copies of all petitions, grants, orders and deeds, pertaining to the settlement of Suffield, are in the following pages." — Hezekiah Shelton, "History of Suffield."
“Suffield was established as a new and separate town by act of the General Court of Massachusetts in October 1670. Previously it had been considered as lying within the somewhat indefinite bounds of Springfield, and it was upon recommendation of the selectmen of that town that a petition was brought to the Massachusetts authorities which resulted in the incorporation of Suffield as a Massachusetts town. A church was soon organized, as a minister is said to have been settled within two years.
"There was long and sometimes bitter controversy between Massachusetts and Connecticut over the boundary line between the two colonies. This was ended, at least for the time being, through the acceptance by the General Court of Connecticut in May 1749 of a petition made to it by Suffield and other towns along the boundary to be taken under the jurisdiction of Connecticut. Since that date, May 1749, Suffield has been a part of Connecticut, although Massachusetts continued to lay claim to it for a score of years thereafter.” — "Suffield, Connecticut Congregational Church Records, 1710–1836"