East Hampton, Connecticut
During preparation for the 1976 Bicentennial Celebration the Connecticut General Assembly approved legislation that led to the erection of historical markers in most towns. This is a copy of the one erected in East Hampton:
"East Hampton was first settled in 1710, when Gideon Goffe and his family located in an area along the Connecticut River which later became established as the parish of Middle Haddam. Families from the locality moved eastward and settled in the hills surrounding Lake Pocotopaug, and in 1746 named their community East Hampton. In 1767, the town was incorporated as Chatham in honor of the Earl of Chatham in England for his support of the American colonies at that time. The name of the town was changed to East Hampton in 1915. Historically, bell manufacturing, mining, and shipbuilding enterprises within the town stood exemplary of early American industry. Erected by: THE TOWN OF EAST HAMPTON AND THE CONNECTICUT HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1975."