Settled 1639, named 1653. Set off from New Haven in 1685. || Branford, Ct. New Haven co. An uneven township, of strong soil, on Long Island Sound, about 7 miles E. from New Haven. Thimble island and Indian island lie within the limits of the town. Here are fish of various kinds, a small stream of water, a harbor, and some vessels engaged in the fishery. The town was settled in 1644. Population, 1830, 2,332. A beautiful pond, called Saltonstall's lake, lies between Branford and East Haven. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.