Haddam Neck, Connecticut
Settled 1662, incorporated and named 1668. || "The tract of land embraced in the town of Haddam was purchased from the Indians May 20, 1662, for thirty coats which may have been worth one hundred dollars. In the summer of that year it was settled by 28 persons, of which Daniel Brainerd was one, coming from Hartford, Conn. All the early Proprietors of Haddam settled within the limits of Haddam Society, on the rising ground now known as Walkeley Hill, lying between the village of Haddam and Higganum. In Oct., 1668, the settlers were invested with town privileges, and received the name of Haddam, probably from Haddam or Hadham, in England, as the name of the town in its early history was spelled both ways. On Feb. 11, 1686, the assembly gave to the inhabitants a patent of all the lands which had previously been granted them, thereby conferring the grants, with all the appurtenances and privileges, to them and their heirs forever. The settlement was confined to the western side of the river for thirty or forty years. About 1685 and possibly as early as 1670, some of the inhabitants of Haddam, among them the Brainards, moved across to the east side of the river, a little south of Haddam and settled East Haddam, probably in that portion of it which is called Creek Row. About 1712 one or two families of Brainerds with others went across the river and settled on what is now called Haddam Neck, opposite to Haddam and extending a few miles north of Haddam. About 1732 or '4, some families moved a few miles farther east and formed a settlement which is now called Millington Society, in the town of East Haddam.
"From a statistical account of the County of Middlesex by David D. Field," reprinted in Brainerd Genealogy (1908), p. 27.