The parish of New Cheshire was established in 1724. Incorporated from Wallingford 1780. First called "West Farms on Mill River."
Cheshire, Ct. New Haven co. Taken from Wallingford in 1780. It lies 14 miles N. from New Haven and 25 S.E. from Hartford. Population, 1830, 1,780. The Quinnipiac river and Farmington canal pass through the town. Cheshire has an uneven, but good, soil, with a very pleasant village, and an Episcopal academy, 54 by 34 feet; a brick building of considerable taste. Agriculture is the chief occupation of the inhabitants. — John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.