Bolton, Connecticut

Settled 1716, named and incorporated 1720. || Bolton, Ct. Tolland co. This town lies 14 miles E. from Hartford, and 10 miles S. by W. from Tolland. Population, 1830, 744. The soil is a coarse, hard, gravelly loam, fit only for grazing. It is within the granite region of the eastern section of the state. The Bolton Stone Quarry is quite noted. "The stone is a species of slate, of a brilliant light gray color, composed of mica and quartz, and is excellent for flagging and other purposes. It is extensively used in the principal cities of the United States. For strength it exceeds any other known in this country, and the demand for it is rapidly increasing." The supply is inexhaustible. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.