Canterbury, Connecticut

Settled 1690. Set off from Plainfield and incorporated 1703. || Canterbury, Ct. Windham co. The first settlers of this town were principally from Dorchester, Mass. and its neighborhood. They came here about the year 1690. The soil of the town is a gravelly loam, generally fertile and productive. It lies 40 miles E. by S. from Hartford, and 6 S. from Brooklyn. Population, 1830, 1,881. The Quinnebaug is here a large and beautiful stream. It annually overflows its banks, and fertilizes a large tract upon its borders. There is fine fishing in Bates' pond. Considerable excitement manifested itself in this town, in 1832, in consequence of a Miss Crandall proposing to open a school for the instruction of "Young ladies and little misses of color." Although no one seemed to question the purity of Miss Crandall's motives, yet the people doubted the expediency of the measure. John Hayward, The New England Gazetteer, 1839.